It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 3:06 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 5   [ 50 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: [PROJECT] The Doom Universe
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:30 am 
Spider mastermind
Spider mastermind

LakiSoft wrote:
Yeah i know i am not good at mapping like you guys but i just tried to help? Is there any part of project i can help then?

I'll say what BJ Vynz said, it's not a bad map.. It's just unfinished! I actually think it looks nice, nice texture usage and stuff.. The map itself maybe could be a bit more complex or something. I'm a bit rusty myself on these things but I felt like there could be more height variance in there, since most parts are quite flat.. Maybe add some stairs / lifts / platforms or something. Also it was indeed quite short, but that's something you can fix! :thumb:

Also one good tip that might feel quite obvious, but that I liked myself.. (John Romero said it): Try not to do anything symmetrical. Yeah, some rooms might have symmetrical structures a bit but if too many things get too symmetrical, the map will get boring. (I'm not saying your map has this problem, Im just trying to use this tip in my own map :lol: )

BJ Vynz wrote:
Guys there is 1 last important question I can think of for now! Compatibility!
Can we add Zdoom/GZdoom features? I'd like to have the option, without it being a requirement.

Well, as long as I can use 3D floors.. which I recall ZDoom supports now? I really don't mind having the option if that is the case. I guess I would be able to do maps without 3D floors too but I've used them so much I feel like it would limit my creativity a damn lot. (But I can still try if necessary)

BJ Vynz wrote:
Lastly, I think we should make maps first then think about story/plot afterward. Because of the nature of our theme, we can just play all the maps when they're done and decide what order works best - then tie them into a plot after the fact.

This is actually a good idea... It's like in Duke Nukem 3D where the maps were made before they decided where are the start of the level & the exit. It also gives people a nice feeling of freedom since we can do what feels right to us, not what feels right for the plot or something.. :yup:

Skibbi wrote:
Now, we need to agree upon weapons. In what levels will we introduce certain weapons? I think we should also have a secret weapon which we include in one of the secret levels. If we were using the Wolfenstein theme (which we won't be), we could add in the Nazi MP40 as a secret weapon. Of course, I shall leave that up to the secret level designers.

I agree with Vynz here, there propably is no need for a specific plan for the introduction of weapons.. (if we add custom ones, then yes though)
I was thinking there could be some part where the player loses his weapons for one reason or another? Just for some difficulty / added fun ... But it's just a random suggestion ;)

Skibbi wrote:
I was thinking we could have a scripted ACS battle in which outnumbered marines are annihilated . It's very dark, so you can only see the battle play out when it flashes. Or perhaps some HeXetic style resurrection of something?
Now, we must also decide, will there be any new monsters?

That sounds quite a lot like what I was planning, I thought I'd make a bulletproof window that shows inside the teleporter room, and the portal is spitting out monsters in an Icon of Sin way, untill all the marines are dead ... I'm quite excited about how that will look in the end :flame: (And yeah just doubleconfirming, the map .. atleast the space station part of it will be quite dark. The example I posted is bright because I just didnt bother making it dark yet :lol: )

I think new monsters would be great, but at the same time I feel it would be so much more great if we did them ourselves.. but I don't think any of us can ? I basically could make 3D models, then export sprites from that and stuff, but there would need to be plans for the monsters and it could take some time.. but I seriously mean that is a possible idea ! I kinda even want to try that out since I'm getting better and better in 3D stuff. Even rigging and animating... But yeah we can still think about that. For this whole month I cant really do much anyways, except a bit of mapping and I'll try to stay active in here.

I really like how active this thread has been so far! It's what makes this kind of projects so interesting and motivating for me ! :rockon:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:22 am 
Cyberdemon
Cyberdemon

Vilde123 wrote:
Skibbi wrote:
I was thinking we could have a scripted ACS battle in which outnumbered marines are annihilated . It's very dark, so you can only see the battle play out when it flashes. Or perhaps some HeXetic style resurrection of something?
Now, we must also decide, will there be any new monsters?

That sounds quite a lot like what I was planning, I thought I'd make a bulletproof window that shows inside the teleporter room, and the portal is spitting out monsters in an Icon of Sin way, until all the marines are dead ... I'm quite excited about how that will look in the end :flame:

I think something like a sniper tower would be fun - where you can shoot them but they can't shoot you. It gives the player the illusion of hope - the illusion of being able to save his comrades.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:25 am 
Spider mastermind
Spider mastermind

Some early version of my vision of the gateway to hell (I started thinking it would be nice to do something similar to what Plutonia's final level has, but this time not a demonic gateway, but a man-made!)

Spoiler:

The lights flicker randomly around the portal, kinda indicating that it's using massive amounts of energy and has gotten out of control ... I think it will be wonderful after some more detailing ! Also this room would be not available for the player to access at first.. They'd need to find an alternate way in. :shiftyph34r:

I tried to make the Icon of Sin's "brain/spit" sound play with

Code:
PlaySound(5, "brain/spit", CHAN_5, 1.0, 0, ATTN_NONE);

But for some reason it doesn't play... when I type "playsound "brain/spit" in the console though, the sound works..
I dont know what's going on XD

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:00 pm 
Chaingunner
Chaingunner

LakiSoft wrote:
Yeah i know i am not good at mapping like you guys but i just tried to help? Is there any part of project i can help then?

Your map isn't bad at all bro, just need more of it. :yup: The throne room you did with the pillars on the sides is cool! i would just make a few more cool set pieces like that.
Im not very good either dont worry.

Vilde123 wrote:
Some early version of my vision of the gateway to hell (I started thinking it would be nice to do something similar to what Plutonia's final level has, but this time not a demonic gateway, but a man-made!)

Beautiful man

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:18 am 
Cyberdemon
Cyberdemon

That texture cap hit me across the head like a bulldozer, but it must be for the best :lol:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:45 am 
Spider mastermind
Spider mastermind

I think I'll make the room bigger, but it's starting to look a bit scary already :happy:

Spoiler:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:48 pm 
Cyberdemon
Cyberdemon

Someone should call Lupinx-Kassman back. I'm quite sure he may be interested in this project. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:02 am 
Cyberdemon
Cyberdemon

This is just so you guys know I'm working :) Textures are all placeholders for now.
I started yesterday.
Spoiler:

I should have an in-game shot soon. It takes a bit of time since I'm not using the "real" ceiling to make ceilings, juts lots of 3d floors.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:47 am 
Spider mastermind
Spider mastermind

BJ Vynz wrote:
This is just so you guys know I'm working :) Textures are all placeholders for now.
I started yesterday.
Spoiler:

I should have an in-game shot soon. It takes a bit of time since I'm not using the "real" ceiling to make ceilings, juts lots of 3d floors.

Pretty sure this will be good, looks promising atleast ;)

I just realised this project would be perfect for me to finally put my "Hell Themed Unnamed Map" to good use (Which I have already posted on it's own topic but now posting it here as a reminder)

For now the Revenants in the map are facing away, but I'll change that at some point. I might also change the huge castle thing to something different at some point... but I'll focus on the gateway to hell thingy map for now. I just needed to get this map somewhere because I love the music and the theme is exactly what I always love to use for hell maps :lol:

BTW I just also found that old Final Doom Remake map from my hard drive...
Just saying incase someone finds a way to use it here somehow..

Spoiler:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:46 pm 
Cyberdemon
Cyberdemon

Vilde123 wrote:
I just realised this project would be perfect for me to finally put my "Hell Themed Unnamed Map" to good use (Which I have already posted on it's own topic but now posting it here as a reminder)

If you'd like to add that map to this project that would be great :) Where can I learn to make 3d floors move with a switch?
Vilde123 wrote:
BTW I just also found that old Final Doom Remake map from my hard drive...
Just saying incase someone finds a way to use it here somehow..

Nice! There may be use for it some day. I'm just glad I've learned to do a lot since then.
-

Here's a shot of the building I'm working on:
Spoiler:

It's going to take a while. From now on I will build indoors the usual way. Starting with an outdoor space then building 3d floors inside it is too much.
I'll also try avoiding multiple floors. There's just too much that can go wrong and take too long to fix.

Offline Profile  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 5   [ 50 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next