It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:57 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 5   [ 50 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: [PROJECT] The Doom Universe
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:31 pm 
Spider mastermind
Spider mastermind

So yeah, I basically told Skibbi that I'm in.. I've been watching some "Devs Play" videos where John Romero plays the first episode of Doom, and it got me into this again XD
My school things are in a quite critical point atm, but I will still be able to put something together, I just can't know when I will get it done... I'll try to be a bit more careful and patient this time (I've noticed my mapping projects get scrapped so easily these days xd)

Spoiler: Devs Play video yay

Yeah it's part 2 because the first one is the intro where John doesnt play yet :happy:

I'm not sure what kind of map I want to create. I admit I started one already, with a traditional elevator start, where the elevator drops you at the level. At first I thought I'd go for a Computer Station theme, but it occured to me that I'm really poor on doing such maps. I started thinking about Doom 3 / Plutonia Experiment, and it kinda made me want to do a level that starts off at a Computer Station, which happens to be a facility holding another gateway to hell.. (really original.. I know xDDD).. So yeah, some idiot scientists have opened up the portal (or teleportation device leading to hell?) and the powers of hell prevent from shutting the thing down from there, and you basically need to dive in again and kick everyone's asses and seal the gateway ....

Any comments or ideas? xD This is just what I came up with in 15 minutes.
... The map itself is almost not even started that much, since I thought I want to make things right this time, and give more time for planning, and I wanted to try out if it made any difference if I tried to keep in mind some of the design points John Romero said during those videos...

Spoiler: pathetic map image

I know its pathetic XD and the demon isnt supposed to be there XD

[EDIT]

Also if this Hell part will happen, I demand that the music of the map will change into this after entering the portal:

Spoiler:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:58 pm 
Cyberdemon
Cyberdemon

Lakki, I like what is there but I think Powerage is on point. Expanding the map some more will make it even better :)
Afterward, you can extrude some of the world to add details.

-
Powerage that's looking like a nice area. I've always liked seeing flesh and blood (and skins) on maps.

-
Skibbi. I'm wondering how we'll manage custom/external textures.

We can all agree on a pack to use but we'd still not likely need the whole pack and end up with junk space, plus some might want things from other packs.

One thing we could do is simply have everyone use whatever textures they'd like, as long as they have been separated from their packs and compiled into a pack of only textures that will be used.

Everyone can have their own custom packs that will likely stay small and manageable.

-
Vilde it's great to have you on board.
With at least 4 people we would only need to do 2 maps each! This will get done.

I've additionally taken on one of the 2 secret maps.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:36 am 
Cyberdemon
Cyberdemon

BJ Vynz wrote:
Skibbi. I'm wondering how we'll manage custom/external textures.
We can all agree on a pack to use but we'd still not likely need the whole pack and end up with junk space, plus some might want things from other packs.
One thing we could do is simply have everyone use whatever textures they'd like, as long as they have been separated from their packs and compiled into a pack of only textures that will be used.
Everyone can have their own custom packs that will likely stay small and manageable.

We'll have to agree on a custom wad which we'll move into it by the end.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:36 am 
Chaingunner
Chaingunner

Vilde, Cool man, i think theres a few ways to incorperate a computer station with a hell theme. It could be like a map01 that actually shows how the player ends up getting sent to hell/nightmare land, through some sort of portal like you explained. Or it could seem like a normal station at first and then halfway through the map the architecture gets corrupted by hell.

Vynz, i think custom textures are fine, aslong as its not completely overboard and bloats up the filesize

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:44 am 
Cyberdemon
Cyberdemon

Powerage wrote:
Vynz, i think custom textures are fine, aslong as its not completely overboard and bloats up the filesize

Yeah, I had this idea that we should each have a budget of 16 exterior textures at most. No more. For the sake of organization + filesize. So at most we would get 64 by 4 people.

16 isn't too little, since it's really just to make up for Doom2's overuse of brown/grey textures.
That, and it's good to see how much you can get away with few assets.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:40 am 
Cyberdemon
Cyberdemon

BJ Vynz wrote:
Powerage wrote:

Yeah, I had this idea that we should each have a budget of 16 exterior textures at most. No more. For the sake of organization + filesize. So at most we would get 64 by 4 people.

16 isn't too little, since it's really just to make up for Doom2's overuse of brown/grey textures.
That, and it's good to see how much you can get away with few assets.

I agree. We will also cut textures if they are never used.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:13 am 
Spider mastermind
Spider mastermind

Powerage wrote:
Vilde, Cool man, i think theres a few ways to incorperate a computer station with a hell theme. It could be like a map01 that actually shows how the player ends up getting sent to hell/nightmare land, through some sort of portal like you explained. Or it could seem like a normal station at first and then halfway through the map the architecture gets corrupted by hell.

Both of these are good ideas... I was thinking about one possibility being that when the player arrives with the elevator at the start of the level, there are some demons immediately in front of him, and dead marines on the ground... Also the main door leading to the teleportation room is jammed partly open, so you can barely see some friendly Marines getting destroyed by demons that came from the portal.

This is just a demonstration and the map itself wont be this small and stupid looking, but anyway xD

Spoiler:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:07 pm 
Cyberdemon
Cyberdemon

Now, we need to agree upon weapons. In what levels will we introduce certain weapons? I think we should also have a secret weapon which we include in one of the secret levels. If we were using the Wolfenstein theme (which we won't be), we could add in the Nazi MP40 as a secret weapon. Of course, I shall leave that up to the secret level designers.

Vilde123 wrote:
Both of these are good ideas... I was thinking about one possibility being that when the player arrives with the elevator at the start of the level, there are some demons immediately in front of him, and dead marines on the ground... Also the main door leading to the teleportation room is jammed partly open, so you can barely see some friendly Marines getting destroyed by demons that came from the portal.

I was thinking we could have a scripted ACS battle in which outnumbered marines are annihilated . It's very dark, so you can only see the battle play out when it flashes. Or perhaps some HeXetic style resurrection of something?
Now, we must also decide, will there be any new monsters?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:45 pm 
Spider mastermind
Spider mastermind

Yeah i know i am not good at mapping like you guys but i just tried to help? Is there any part of project i can help then?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:13 am 
Cyberdemon
Cyberdemon

LakiSoft wrote:
Yeah i know i am not good at mapping like you guys but i just tried to help? Is there any part of project i can help then?

No one is saying it was bad. Keep adding to it! :)
Right now the biggest issue is just that it's too short. You can keep what is there and keep expanding it so it feels at least as big as Doom1's first map.
-

Guys there is 1 last important question I can think of for now! Compatibility!
Can we add Zdoom/GZdoom features? I'd like to have the option, without it being a requirement.

Lastly, I think we should make maps first then think about story/plot afterward. Because of the nature of our theme, we can just play all the maps when they're done and decide what order works best - then tie them into a plot after the fact.
-

@Skibbi. I think all maps can have all weapons or whatever weapons you want so long as it flows well with your level. At this point there's no need to introduce a weapon per map as it's no longer going to feel like something fresh/new. Everyone's already seen all the weapons.

Keep in mind, you can be creative in how you handle the weapon encounters in your map. For example you don't need to place a shotgun to give the player a shotgun. Make them have to kill a shotgunner :)

Offline Profile  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 5   [ 50 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next