It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:47 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 4   [ 35 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Quake II
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:21 am 
Cyberdemon
Cyberdemon

Quake II is the second game of the loosely connected Quake series. It is a sci-fi space station shooter in which you play the role of Bitterman, a pilot taking part in Earth's last-ditch attempt to destroy the Strogg base and save man kind from destruction.
Quake II included high resolution models with a format still in use today. Most doom mods that include 3D models use the Quake II format.
The game play is rather different from Doom's, replacing most of the fast-paced action with a slower pace and generally fighting individual enemies or small groups. It has done away with the episode system and makes use of a hub system, allowing players to go back to old areas to complete objectives.
The enemies are cybernetic Strogg soldiers. They have drones, soldiers, chaingun soldiers and numerous others that are more or less the same. The weapons are similar to those of Quake and Doom. That being said, they look more modern and space-aged and many of the core principles have changed.
  • Infinite ammo commander keen pistol
  • Shotgun
  • Super Shotgun
  • Machinegun (somewhat like a nailgun)
  • Chaingun
  • Rocket launcher
  • Grenade Laucher
  • Hyperblaster (think Plasma gun)
  • BFG10K
  • Railgun
Throughout the game, you will be given objectives to complete, allowing you to complete the hub.
Spoiler: Screenshots

Numerous games were made in the Quake II engine, dubbed id Tech II. Examples include Heretic II, Sin and Soldier of Fortune. Since it was open-sourced (if indeed, it is a verb) many games have been made with the engine, including Warsow and Paintball 2.

The game engine is a marvel - a spectacular piece of work that carried on the success of the Quake engine to redefine first person shooters. However, the game itself is rather boring and repetitive. But that is just my opinion, what is yours?
7/10 - It's alright.
Download the Demo
Buy on Steam

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Quake II
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:49 pm 
Spider mastermind
Spider mastermind

Well i have to admit i never completed Quake II till the end because of Hub system and boring atmosphere in my opinion. Plus it does have nothing done with Quake 1 except the mutual name. Some graphic and textures are nice but gameplay isn't that fun as Quake 1 or Quake III in my opinion. However maybe in i will complete it, i will see. Rating is 3/5 Stars (good).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:58 pm 
Cyberdemon
Cyberdemon

Best FPS of late '90. Very long gameplay and never boring. Mission packs are a nice touch. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:35 am 
Cyberdemon
Cyberdemon

I've actually changed my mind. It's a nice game and takes time to get used to.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:05 pm 
Cyberdemon
Cyberdemon

Anyone remember how to get Carmack head in the secret area of Upper Palace? The switch requires red key but I found none. :|

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:07 pm 
Cyberdemon
Cyberdemon

I never knew of that secret.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:08 am 
Demon
Demon

I think it's the red key from Lower Palace... or Outer Courts, i can't remember

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:14 am 
Ah I remember the Carmack Head Easter Egg. I actually found a lot of Quake 2 Easter Eggs as kid, including this one and at end of the game, the ID Gallery. I've also found all 3 secret levels and that was back then I was like 8-9 years old and just got internet but didn't use for walkthroughs and YouTube until much later. :)
Makes me proud for finding a lot of stuff as kid myself and without any help from internet. Nowadays it's easy to spoil a game by looking at YouTube, takes all the fun. This applies to games I've never played as a kid such as Shadow Warrior and Blood and newer games (when I will get around to play them) where I'm tempted to use a walkthrough just to see what's ahead. Spoils the fun. :(

As for reaching the Easter Egg, here is a video that shows it:

Not the best video in terms of video quality but I like this guy's walkthoughs so much that I watch them, because of finding all secrets. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:09 pm 
Cyberdemon
Cyberdemon

FistMarine wrote:

It doesn't catch the head... FAIL

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:01 am 
Glassyman wrote:
FistMarine wrote:

It doesn't catch the head... FAIL

Lol, I see. When you pick up the head, you get 6 points of max health. Well as a kid I didn't found ALL secrets in any game, I only found the majority of them. Also just noticed the video doesn't even work here since owner disabled the playback and you must watch it directly on YouTube. That's what happens when you hurry and don't double check. :P

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 4   [ 35 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next