It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:11 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 4   [ 35 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Quake II
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:42 pm 
Cyberdemon
Cyberdemon

FistMarine wrote:
I don't think a single version number can do a big difference.

Quake 1 fails at loading its own Mission Packs if it isn't patched to last version, just to say one.

FistMarine wrote:
It does? Because I remember that it messes up with screen resolution and displays weird colors. Or you used the unofficial patch 3.24 that I was talking about earlier? I will have to install Quake 2 on my laptop (Windows 7 32-bit) and see if I can play normally.

It does. No unofficial patch installed.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:07 pm 
Glassyman wrote:
Quake 1 fails at loading its own Mission Packs if it isn't patched to last version, just to say one.

Maybe not the best thing I have said but I was mostly referring to Quake 2 because there shouldn't be too many differences between patch 3.19 and 3.20. I know about Quake 1 versions, the first version was 1.01 (which I had as a kid on a CD with games), second version was 1.06 and then there was 1.07 (support for first mission pack), then final 1.08 (support for second mission pack). Then there is 1.09 WinQuake/GLQuake ports.

Glassyman wrote:
It does. No unofficial patch installed.

Interesting. I will have to try installing Quake 2 on my laptop in following days after I come from holiday and see if it runs. I remember trying it before and it didn't work, I was probably running Windows Vista at that time but I imagine I will get same results on Windows 7. What OS you have? And is it 32-bit or 64-bit?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:42 pm 
Cyberdemon
Cyberdemon

64 bit and no compatibility set.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:06 pm 
Cyberdemon
Cyberdemon

It just works out of the box for me. Windows 10 64-bit Steam version unmodified by me.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:19 pm 
Give me a few minutes, I will reinstall Quake 2 and check if it works for me on both my laptop and PC.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:52 pm 
Installed Quake 2 on my Windows 7 laptop and like I expected, it doesn't work correctly. Look at this screenshot:

All I did was change resolution to 640x480 (since I dislike the default 320x240 resolution) and watch the opening demo. It was enough to convince me that it doesn't work properly under newer OSes.

And Skibbi, since you are using Steam version, are you sure you aren't running some kind of patch? On steam people use an unofficial patch for first 2 Quake games called "Ultimate Quake Patch", which are just source ports (DarkPlaces and KMQuake2) placed directly into steam quake folder and that's probably why it works for you.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:31 pm 
Cyberdemon
Cyberdemon

Looks like video card error. What's yours?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:41 pm 
Cyberdemon
Cyberdemon

FistMarine wrote:
Installed Quake 2 on my Windows 7 laptop and like I expected, it doesn't work correctly. Look at this screenshot:

All I did was change resolution to 640x480 (since I dislike the default 320x240 resolution) and watch the opening demo. It was enough to convince me that it doesn't work properly under newer OSes.

And Skibbi, since you are using Steam version, are you sure you aren't running some kind of patch? On steam people use an unofficial patch for first 2 Quake games called "Ultimate Quake Patch", which are just source ports (DarkPlaces and KMQuake2) placed directly into steam quake folder and that's probably why it works for you.

If I am using a patch, it comes with the Steam version and I don't know of it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:30 am 
Glassyman wrote:
Looks like video card error. What's yours?

Intel. Here are my specs for my laptop (copy-pasted from another thread)

Memory: 2.00 GB RAM
Hard Disk Space: 150 GB
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T3400, 2.16/2.17 GHz
Graphics Card: Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family

Please note that years ago when I tried on a friend's house, he had the SAME problem. Colors messed up, etc. I think the game might be playable in windowed mode because I remember making the game to work in some way in windowed mode, I will try that.

Skibbi wrote:
If I am using a patch, it comes with the Steam version and I don't know of it.

As far as I know, steam version of quake 2 comes with 3.20 patch installed. It is possible it was tweaked to work on newer OSes because my version installed from CD is also 3.20 but it doesn't seem to work correctly.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:42 pm 
Cyberdemon
Cyberdemon

Intel cards often fail while playing games. Try to test it on nVidia or AMD card. Or at least play it with no full screen.

Offline Profile  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 4   [ 35 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next