It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 4:04 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 4   [ 35 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Quake II
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:51 pm 
Cyberdemon
Cyberdemon

FistMarine wrote:
When you pick up the head, you get 6 points of max health.

Lol, it's a super adrenaline. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:32 am 
Yes, exactly. A normal adrenaline gives you one point of max health, which isn't much but it does add up when you get more pickups. Adrenaline is comparable to Doom's berserk pack, both items giving you full health, aside from the other side effect.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:30 pm 
Cyberdemon
Cyberdemon

FistMarine wrote:
Yes, exactly. A normal adrenaline gives you one point of max health, which isn't much but it does add up when you get more pickups. Adrenaline is comparable to Doom's berserk pack, both items giving you full health, aside from the other side effect.

Good that you explained, I had no idea.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:14 pm 
Cyberdemon
Cyberdemon

What about the Power Shield? IMO it's totally useless. XD

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:40 am 
The Power Shield is an interesting inventory item. When you activate it, it uses your cells as protection but I don't know how much is the percentage of absorption. You can also activate it along with armor, so you basically have 2 forms of armor at same time for a greater protection. Or you can activate it when you have no armor at all, so you can have at least something than no armor at all. It works as long as you have cells remaining and you can activate and deactivate whenever you want. I recommend using it in some harder situations.

You can read about it here:
http://quake.wikia.com/wiki/Energy_Armor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:08 pm 
Cyberdemon
Cyberdemon

Its protection is effective only against cell-type attack, doesn't work against bullets and rockets.

BTW, I'm playing again the official Mission Packs. I didn't remember they're so hard. :sadfrog:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:47 am 
Yeah I wanted to mention that the Power Shield is more effective in the mission packs, since they are much harder than the original game. I played the original game about 10 or more times as a kid but I never played the expansion packs because I never owned them at that time. In summer 2008 I got them from a site (not telling where) and played them for first time but they had stupid error "Function pointers have moved" which prevented me from loading the game, so they were unplayable and I just warped to final level (from multiplayer menu) in coop mode and completed them that way with the shitty blaster. :lol:

From my understanding, the error has to do with fact that mission packs don't run correctly in newer OSes (XP and above), although Quake 2 doesn't run on Vista or later (colors are messed up, screen resolutions don't work, etc) but you can run the main game on Windows XP without problems, aside from the error mentioned above in mission packs. There are some unofficial mission pack fixes and even an unofficial patch that fixes these problems. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:13 pm 
Cyberdemon
Cyberdemon

FistMarine wrote:
played them for first time but they had stupid error "Function pointers have moved" which prevented me from loading the game, so they were unplayable and I just warped to final level (from multiplayer menu) in coop mode and completed them that way with the shitty blaster. :lol:

That's because they require Quake 2 latest version.

FistMarine wrote:
From my understanding, the error has to do with fact that mission packs don't run correctly in newer OSes (XP and above), although Quake 2 doesn't run on Vista or later (colors are messed up, screen resolutions don't work, etc) but you can run the main game on Windows XP without problems, aside from the error mentioned above in mission packs. There are some unofficial mission pack fixes and even an unofficial patch that fixes these problems. ;)

False, Vanilla Quake 2 does work on newer 64 bit OSes.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:40 pm 
Cyberdemon
Cyberdemon

Glassyman wrote:
FistMarine wrote:

False, Vanilla Quake 2 does work on newer 64 bit OSes.

Yeah, because I played it on Win 10 recently.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:10 am 
Glassyman wrote:
That's because they require Quake 2 latest version.

Uh no, even if you have latest 3.20 version of Quake 2, they will still fail to load. Truth is the version of Quake 2 I had back then was from XPLOSIV DVD and it had 3.19 version but I don't think a single version number can do a big difference.

Glassyman wrote:

It does? Because I remember that it messes up with screen resolution and displays weird colors. Or you used the unofficial patch 3.24 that I was talking about earlier? I will have to install Quake 2 on my laptop (Windows 7 32-bit) and see if I can play normally.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 4   [ 35 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next