It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:47 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Quake
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:48 pm 
Cyberdemon
Cyberdemon

Quake is the successor to Doom. It was made in 1996 and intended to be the next great step after Doom. However, time constraints got the better of them and they were forced to make a Doom clone. All that aside it was a very good game.
It was perhaps the first FPS game to use 3D models. Mind you, the models were of rather low poly and most of the detail was added in the form of the bitmap. See here.
For modding, it has never received as much attention as Doom, that is perhaps 3D level design and model editing is such a nuisance.
The gameplay is more or less like Doom's, however you fight individually tougher monsters, instead of large hordes of weak ones.
The first level of every episode takes place in what seems to be a modern space station, after you go through a 'slip gate' and enter a new dimension, you fight through castles and battle ungodly demons. You encounter the simple grunts and enforcers; aggressive rottweilers and fiends; armoured knights and their big brothers - the Death Knights; you fight Vores and Shamblers that make the Baron of Hell seem easy. And at the end of every episode, you discover a rune. There is only a boss battle for the first and final episode, which is quite a shame, should you ask me.
The story of Quake is similar to the story of Doom, while experimenting with slipgate technology, your bases are overrun with daemons that threaten our very existence. You play as Ranger, the lone survivor of your base. You clear the bases and the land of the daemons and recover the runes needed to complete an episode.
Spoiler: Screenshots

And you may recognise another game made in the Quake engine - HeXen II!

All in all, I'd say it's a very good game, what does everybody else think?
8/10 - Brilliant but rushed
Download Shareware
Buy on Steam

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Quake
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:46 pm 
Spider mastermind
Spider mastermind

Yes i agree. In my opinion this is first 3D game with real 3D models. Story is good, however of the gothic textures can seem boring sometimes in my opinion. But in my vote it's Really Good (rating 4/5 stars) Also i liked expansion packs Scourge of Armagon and Dissolution of Eternity. They were epic too :yup: Nice review BTW. :yup:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:54 pm 
Cyberdemon
Cyberdemon

A bit repetitive and boring at times but certainly an epic game. ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:55 pm 
Cyberdemon
Cyberdemon

20 years of Quake! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:09 pm 
Cyberdemon
Cyberdemon

Glassyman wrote:
20 years of Quake! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Wohooo! :drink: :drink: :drink: :rockon: :rockon:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:53 pm 
Yeah! :rockon: :rockon: :drink: :drink:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]