It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:14 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 4   [ 35 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: [Community Project] Heretic - The Outer Worlds
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:28 am 
Spider mastermind
Spider mastermind

BJ Vynz wrote:
So Skibbi you're in charge of this project right?

I would say he should be... or atleast someone else than me.. I dont lead projects good, and I need someone to give me orders..
Anyway I'm fine with Skibbi being the head. (Ofc I will give opinions about things when they are needed and stuff) ;)

PS. I was on a summer cabin thingy for the weekend in case someone wondered if I had disappeared again XD

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:17 pm 
Demon
Demon

Hmm, interesting project indeed, i can't participate in mapping, but i will be looking at this :thumb:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:03 am 
Cyberdemon
Cyberdemon

Vilde123 wrote:
BJ Vynz wrote:
So Skibbi you're in charge of this project right?

I would say he should be... or atleast someone else than me.. I dont lead projects good, and I need someone to give me orders..
Anyway I'm fine with Skibbi being the head. (Ofc I will give opinions about things when they are needed and stuff) ;)

PS. I was on a summer cabin thingy for the weekend in case someone wondered if I had disappeared again XD

Right, splendid.
Now Vilde, could you make a dungeon style level with keys and switches far from the action they do (so, a switch in room 3, say, would lower a wall in room 12). Needs minimal lighting and cells with skeletons (dead people).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:15 pm 
Spider mastermind
Spider mastermind

Oh well Itried something. Mapping dark areas for ZDoom is (or can be) quite challenging for me because I want to do atleast a bit nice looking lights in my rooms... is this anywhere near what you're looking for?
Spoiler:

Dyyynamic liiights I miss you so much :mrgreen:

PS. I think we are going to need some custom textures... for example the dungeon cell bars... They look awfull with any Heretic texture (am i even supposed to be using Heretic XD )

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:43 pm 
Cyberdemon
Cyberdemon

I will make/gather textures when I can, they can always be put in later after the map is "done."

Also, will there be dynamic lighting for maps? If so, that frees up sector space for world detail which is great. Anyway to avoid a bad mix of the 2 lighting methods (gradient vs segmental) it is best to separate places lit dynamically from places lit with sector lighting. Otherwise you get a blobby and blocky look that gets weird.

Oh and, I got this awesome idea for custom textures. I got the idea from megatextures hehe. I can make like a big texture that is kinda like an existing texture tiled many times, then add all sorts of details that make each "tile" look unique from the others. Basically, we can make vanilla textures look even more awesome AND you wouldn't have to change your maps, the new 'wonnabe-mega-textures' would be named the same as the old ones so they'd be replaced with no work on your part.

^ I'll show an example some time, and I'd handle all of it myself so you wouldn't have to worry about it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:05 am 
Spider mastermind
Spider mastermind

BJ Vynz wrote:
I will make/gather textures when I can, they can always be put in later after the map is "done."

Oh yay I was hoping someone would be able to do this... I can do some custom textures if needed but I just don't think it's my strongest point :lol:

BJ Vynz wrote:
Also, will there be dynamic lighting for maps? If so, that frees up sector space for world detail which is great. Anyway to avoid a bad mix of the 2 lighting methods (gradient vs segmental) it is best to separate places lit dynamically from places lit with sector lighting. Otherwise you get a blobby and blocky look that gets weird.

I don't really know about others.. But I kinda think dynamic lights would be good to have ... I can get good results with the nondynamic method but as you said it just takes away details from the rest of the map. I was just wondering can dynamic lights even be used with ZDoom? (My Doom Builder atleast doesn't have them) ... ?

BJ Vynz wrote:
Oh and, I got this awesome idea for custom textures. I got the idea from megatextures hehe. I can make like a big texture that is kinda like an existing texture tiled many times, then add all sorts of details that make each "tile" look unique from the others. Basically, we can make vanilla textures look even more awesome AND you wouldn't have to change your maps, the new 'wonnabe-mega-textures' would be named the same as the old ones so they'd be replaced with no work on your part.

Ohh well that sounds interesting... And will propably make it look more unique and better .. I hope it turns out to be greaat :cheers:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:10 am 
Cyberdemon
Cyberdemon

Vilde123 wrote:
I don't really know about others.. But I kinda think dynamic lights would be good to have ... I can get good results with the nondynamic method but as you said it just takes away details from the rest of the map. I was just wondering can dynamic lights even be used with ZDoom? (My Doom Builder atleast doesn't have them) ... ?

Ohh well that sounds interesting... And will propably make it look more unique and better .. I hope it turns out to be greaat :cheers:

It will look great, I know I haven't showed my stuff in a long time but I do learn really neat tricks all the time and I apply them to my jungle project that I will show my first map of real soon :)

I use GZDoomBuilder which has dynamic lights as actors you can edit easily (color, range, additive, negative). I know there is a GZD plugin for DoomBuilder but I'm not sure it has this, so you might have to get GZDB which I already use anyway, I actually like it :lol:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:04 am 
Spider mastermind
Spider mastermind

BJ Vynz wrote:
I use GZDoomBuilder which has dynamic lights as actors you can edit easily (color, range, additive, negative). I know there is a GZD plugin for DoomBuilder but I'm not sure it has this, so you might have to get GZDB which I already use anyway, I actually like it :lol:

I have GZDoomBuilder too... but I'm using some weird configs I think... I got a ZDoom Heretic (in Hexen format) config and I don't have the actors for dynamic ligghts :'(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:10 am 
Spider mastermind
Spider mastermind

There GZDoom Heretic config for Doom Builder 1 exist :yes: I had it somewhere but i don't remember where. I will try to find it there days :yup:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:12 am 
Cyberdemon
Cyberdemon

Vilde123 wrote:
Oh well Itried something. Mapping dark areas for ZDoom is (or can be) quite challenging for me because I want to do atleast a bit nice looking lights in my rooms... is this anywhere near what you're looking for?
Spoiler:

Dyyynamic liiights I miss you so much :mrgreen:

PS. I think we are going to need some custom textures... for example the dungeon cell bars... They look awfull with any Heretic texture (am i even supposed to be using Heretic XD )

Wow. That looks very good!

Offline Profile  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 4   [ 35 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next