It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:42 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 8 of 8   [ 74 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: What Doom wad or Doom related mod are you currently play
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:40 am 
Hmm OK I will do that later and I already knew about using NOCLIP to reach faster, I will combine with God Mode and FLY cheat code.

Speaking of next wad, I will probably start to play Winter's Fury right now because since few days it finally snowed to me and time to play another winter themed mod. ;)

Alright, I've finished Winter's Fury as well. It was pretty good, I liked it. It had a nice story and the maps were well designed and carefully balanced. I died only twice in the whole wad, one time happened during the battle with two queens (at beginning of map 4) and the other happened during the final boss fights (at the part with inferno demon when cacodemon swarm gets released), just as I killed inferno demon, the retarded cacodemons killed me as well but thankfully I save often, so there isn't much loss. Too bad the whole wad could have been done without dying as I actually managed to survive the boss fights without too much trouble but I must admit there is a lot of tension when fighting them. :)

EDIT: Overall I enjoyed the wad, it was pretty damn good. Note that I played the latest 2015 version because it was updated recently (few months ago), so few things may have been changed in the process.

Finished Run Buddy. A nice (but long) boom map released in 1998. It took me over an hour to complete (because I got TIME SUCKS at end) and I died twice, once to a chaingunner and once to a revenant. This happened at beginning but other than that, it wasn't very difficult as there is a TON of ammo once you get halfway through the map and also a ton of BLUE armors as well, though there are 400+ monsters. Yes there were at least 5 blue armors in the level as well as 3 megaspheres. However I carefully picked them up (though before going to the final battles, I didn't want to let the other 2 megaspheres unused, so I picked them up anyway). In the end I got 101% kills, 100% items and 33% secrets (I wonder where were the other 2 secrets). It was a decent map but it was very large and I just wanted to "end it" already. ;)

EDIT (15/01/2016): I will not make another post but I decided to edit current one. I played two more older wads, first was Jägermörder 1 and it was somewhat easy, I managed to 100% it in all categories. Then there was Chord NG and it was that damned hard! I died 4 times but there were TONS of nasty traps (barons in close quarters, revenants, chaingunners and archviles as well), I've also got several times unlucky with the RNG, I mean every single goddamn time I received maximum damage from said monsters. Which is reason why I died so many times but it wasn't too bad, just frustrating and made me rage at one time because of RNG bullshit. I didn't really enjoy this map but I did have some fun killing monsters. Finished with only 13% health and 13% armor remaining but I also managed to 100% it in all categories (102% kills in former, 111% kills in latter). 8)

Also finished Hell's Eventide. Fun 1997 map, completed it in 18 minutes, died once (was at 3% health and a sergeant killed me but then I reloaded earlier save with 75% health and didn't have any more problems except few low health moments). Was well balanced. I again did UV-max, even though I only had 98% items but I had 104% kills and 100% secrets, which is counted as UV-max. I don't understand why UV-max don't count items as well. :roll:

Finished Atomic Tomb. A nice small E1 styled level for Doom that requires Boom compatibility (I obviously played in Eternity). 100% it without any problems. I managed to kill Cyberdemon after grabbing the plasma gun (tried to kill him with the ammo I had but ran out and only had plasma ammo left but then I got it and he died after 50 or so plasma shots). So overall it wasn't too difficult, I thought it's gonna be hard but apparently I got lucky by not dying at all.

EDIT: Sorry for making so many multiple posts but could others also post here, so I can avoid making too many posts in a row? Yes I know there is an EDIT button but I feel like making a new post at every couple of days. YES I use EDIT post if I play multiple wads in same day and I edit so I add all wads I played in that day. I would also prefer if other people around the forum also post in this thread instead of only me and Glassy.

EDIT 2: Removed unnecessary info from my post.

EDIT 3 (20/01/2016): Finished Chord G. Was frustrating at first but then it started getting better. Managed to 100% it in all categories (even though there were arch viles in level, they didn't have a chance to resurrect any monster, so I didn't get over 100% kills and waste ammo on killing the same monster(s) twice). I died 3 times, once because of a retarded revenant trap at beginning, yes you have to fight a revenant with your pistol but after that, you open door and fight 2 revenants but after that, a THIRD ONE teleports behind you, I didn't stand a chance, I went from 100 health to 52 to 0. It's EXACTLY this kind of trap that makes the experience frustrating, some traps are definitely manageable but this ONE that puts a monster BEHIND you while you fight other monsters is annoying as f*ck because you have to deal with more crap than you are already put. Although I did see the revenant behind me, somehow I got trapped in a corner and got punched twice and then LOL I AM DEAD! Seriously this is so annoying that at every corner there are so many traps and...ok so much ranting but at least I didn't screw up at archviles or something. The other 2 deaths came from barons because I tried to punch them (I had berserk) and it's annoying because is very hard to time the attack, I know in ZDoom based ports, you can use melee attacks much easier but on source ports with original behavior, it's hard to punch monsters, though it's worth trying. But I just wanted to save ammo. Oh well, I finished map in about 17 minutes and had at end 125% health and 103% armor, so the map doesn't seem to be lacking health and armor as it gives you 2 soulspheres, 2 berserk packs and 2 stimpacks. It also gives a green and a blue armor, though I didn't get any benefit of the green armor as I wasn't hit at all (or just hit once by lost soul that barely did 3 damage), so the green armor was soon replaced by blue armor before stepping into the teleporter. Probably the green armor was meant to be taken at beginning of map but why put green and blue armors so close to each other?

Now I'm going to play Chord 3 and I will finish with Chord series once for all. :melancholy:

EDIT 4: Finished Chord 3 as well. I don't need to tell anything else because you know how the map was. Yes it was that hard and I died 30 times. Unfair ambushes, low ammo and health, lots of monsters, etc. At least I 100%'ed it (104% kills though). And I died 30 times in total (yes I counted them). I didn't like this map but at least I didn't get frustrated at it this time as I tried to be as calm as possible. Had to spam save/load buttons and use all slots. At one point I was hopeless with 1% health and had to punch monsters (most of the time I spent the level with low health anyway but at one point I had just 1 health). The cyber wasn't a problem at least. Finished in about 20 minutes with 51% health. Annoying map, I didn't enjoy it. :grumpy:

I have to say that I stopped playing Doom wads and Duke3D maps these days. I want from now on to concentrate on my life and once I finish with faculty, I will get back to playing all these games as well as mods. And yes everything will be started from beginning once again! No matter if I played something 10 times, only 1 time or never at all, I will still play these. In the meantime, enjoy this wonderful review of Doom that got published today:
http://onemandoom.blogspot.com/2016/01/ ... omwad.html

EDIT: Oops, 5th post in a row! I would like all my posts from this topic to be deleted, excluding THIS one, which is an announcement. Sorry about this sad news but I will still check the forums. I will just not play anything until 2018, no matter what map or mod will get released these days. Yes I will miss the fun but I think waiting 2 more years without progress won't kill me. I will come back refreshed and then I will play pretty much any high quality mod that was released for Doom, Duke, Quake and other old school games. :thumb:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:39 pm 
Cyberdemon
Cyberdemon

Played Romero's latest map. Very oldschoolish, hard but there's too much slime. :mrgreen: :grin:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:55 pm 
Chaingunner
Chaingunner

Glassyman wrote:
Played Romero's latest map. Very oldschoolish, hard but there's too much slime. :mrgreen: :grin:

Yeah i thought it was pretty good, classic episode 1 techbase level with a bit of modern detailing, but yeah the hurtfloors are a pain in the ass

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:38 pm 
Cyberdemon
Cyberdemon

Powerage wrote:
Glassyman wrote:

Yeah i thought it was pretty good, classic episode 1 techbase level with a bit of modern detailing, but yeah the hurtfloors are a pain in the ass

I've never been able to get very far on that one. I should try godmode one day but my surface keyboard is not good for it.

Offline Profile  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 8 of 8   [ 74 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8