It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:34 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 7 of 8   [ 74 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: What Doom wad or Doom related mod are you currently play
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:54 pm 
Finished Dystopia 3. Once again mixed feelings, it was okay for most part but it had annoying monster placement sometimes but also lots of powerups. Oh yeah and also annoying stuff like a secret in MAP10 that was one time only and then inaccessible (it contained a megasphere, as well as soul sphere, blue armor and other stuff) but I left it for later, only to find out I can't go back to get it. Damn that was so annoying. But then we have other shits such as inescapable pits. Very annoying.

Other than that, I kinda enjoyed Dystopia because for most part it is very well designed (it was one of the first few wads to contain 3D floors) but it also has so many ultra ANNOYING traps. Like that f*cking cyber in MAP07 that teleports here and when I kill him, he also kills me:

But then I finally finish the wad (MAP11) and I see this:

EDIT: I'm not sure what to play next. I have a couple of Christmas themed Doom wads to play (H2H-XMAS which I played years ago and I plan to replay but I can also play the recently released wads such as Whitemare 1, 2 and 32in24-14). What do you recommend me to play next? I also have to play wads with .deh such as Obituary and All Hell is breaking loose but I'm holding these ones for later, as well as the megawads.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:28 pm 
Cyberdemon
Cyberdemon

The Doom Advent Calendar series:

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/themes/DAC/dac2005/

This one was very good: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/themes/xmas/ph_dac

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:12 am 
I might play this Christmas wad but since it requires (G)ZDoom, I might as well play it with Aeons of Death. :)

Anyway after I wrote the post earlier, I started playing more 1-level wads, precisely Polygon Base. So far things are good. After that I will play 99 Ways To Die and many other mini episodes, just so I can finish more wads that way instead of playing through long megawads that I can hold for next few months/years.

EDIT: About earlier post with screenshots, what I meant is that the last level had a nice level ending effect, it made me laugh because it blew up Microsoft's building. :lol:

EDIT 2: Finished Call of Dooty series for GZDoom. Worth playing for the laughs.

Also finished Polygon Base level in Eternity Engine. A long level that gets confusing at times, has a lot of traps that didn't seem special to me and I took minimal damage, I survived without dying and it wasn't too hard but it had about 300 monsters. Screenshot from end of level:

EDIT 3: Finished 99 Ways to Die. Nicely designed easy maps. It had only 3 levels, so it didn't take too much to finish. UNFORTUNATELY, MAP03 has a critical flaw, at end of level, a teleporter doesn't work on UV difficulty and because of that, I had to restart the level on HMP with pistol. I had no other choice because I didn't want to cheat with NOCLIP, even if it's a map error. I always try workarounds that don't involve cheating. ;)

EDIT 4: Also finished Hidden Mountain Factory. Nicely designed level but quite difficult, there are lots of monsters in cramped spaces and there isn't room to dodge their attacks. After the ArchVile part, I have been constantly low on health and there wasn't much health around except stimpacks here and there. I even died once to a chaingunner halfway through level thanks to slow SSG reload (I was also trying to avoid hell knights that blocked me) but other that that, I managed to barely survive and got a lot of lucky RNG hits because I was always around 15-20% health. Screenshot at end of level:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:04 pm 
Finished playing All Hell is Breaking Loose in Eternity Engine. It's a fun 1996 wad that has custom monsters and weapons via Dehacked, as well as blue armor maxed to 300. The custom music is pretty cool! Anyway I found the wad to be enjoyable for most of the times.
Levels 1,2,3 are somewhat easy but you have to be careful, I managed to do them without dying but level 4 is very frustrating because I died about 10 times here, there are lots of monsters in cramped spaces and the chaingunners and plasma marines are most annoying. There is health but the damage is unavoidable and then you will have to spend your time with low health and lots of saving/loading until you get a medkit. Then there's that retarded trap where picking up the blue armor (or trying to pick it up) results in few marines and chaingunners getting unleashed. That part alone took me like 3 times but overall this level was just frustrating and made me rage. Level 5 was fun, I died only once to a helicopter that shot rockets at me but other than that, I didn't have problems with the cybers, spiders and the custom flying demons. :lol:

I'm also playing a ZDoom wad Ultimate Simplicity, so far I'm going good. I am on MAP14 (4th level of second episode) and I'm having fun, though there are a few annoying traps that are very hard to avoid and you will be forced to lose health if you aren't prepared for them. I got lucky most of times, so far I only died once on level 4 (of first episode) at the dual archviles part. I didn't have strong weapons and the teleporting zombies made things worse. I remember doing that part without dying when I played that wad last time but this time I wasn't lucky enough to do it without dying.

I'm playing Cold as Hell Special Edition (the 2008 re-release) in GZDoom and I like it so far but the first level was way too hard and frustrating because of monsters that kept spawning and I had no idea I had to escape the place, so I fought monsters until I ran out of ammo, then I had to start game from beginning because of that. Once I reached the next map, things started to get fun, though at beginning it felt again frustrating until you get used with the mod mechanics. The monsters seem to do a lot of damage, armor doesn't exist in this mod and health is limited, plus you have to use bandages when you get hurt to stop bleeding but somehow a GZDoom bug prevents this from happening, I only had to bandage myself once and after that I never had to use bandages, so I carry 30 bandages around for nothing. But anyway once you get used with this, it becomes quite a fun experience! :)
But you still must be careful with monster spawning behind you or in close places as well. Thankfully the super shotgun feels really strong here, you can kill a hell knight in just 2 shots for example. And ammo is placed almost everywhere. You have to be careful with reloading though, reloading shotguns works fine but if you reload a clip (from pistol or machinegun), you lose all the ammo you had in clip. So if you have less than 30 ammo in a clip and reload, the clip is gone and replaced with a new one. It's not your usual reloading mechanic where you reload and not lose any ammo, here you have to either wait for automatic reloading when you ran out of ammo from the clip or manual reloading but I recommend manual reloading when about 5 ammo left. One thing I didn't like aside from the frustrating experience I've had at beginning of the mod was the health bar but thankfully enabling the alternative HUD from HUD options menu enables the good old number display. Other than these minor gripes, it's a solid mod that definitely deserved the cacoward :D

EDIT: 24/12/2015

I've finished Ultimate Simplicity second episode, only need to do the third episode Director's Cut and the bonus ROTT Easter Egg level. Then I'm completely done with it. Honestly, I think the levels are excellently designed but at every single corner, there are very annoying traps. Some are predictable, some are not. I found the final boss very frustrating this time, I died 12 goddamn times at it! :grumpy: Death log:
Code:
MAP04: 1
MAP16: 1
MAP20: 12

And yes I died once more on level 16 because of an arachnotron (the monsters that get unleashed when picking up blue key). I also got unlucky many times with very high damage (thanks RNG!) that caused me to lose a lot of health/armor but other times I've also lost very little health/armor. So yeah, RNG decided to either do very low damage or very high damage. I honestly find it hard to believe I did this wad without DYING at all 2-3 years ago. I seriously can't believe because this time it seems I did a SHIT TON of times! It was a frustrating experience, especially in levels that I didn't die because I had to be careful at the traps that get thrown at me. As I said some can be predictable and others are luck based (like escaping from a couple of demons/imps/hell knights/revenants in close quarters and then fighting them). It's all luck based but SSG/plasma gun/BFG seem to mostly help in these cases. :)

EDIT 2: 28/12/2015
I finished the third episode of Ultimate Simplicity (Director's Cut) as well as secret ROTT map map32. I found the director's cut episode somewhat easier and shorter. I died twice on final level (ninth level) of this episode, once because of arachnotrons and once because I stepped outside of the short arena where I was fighting cyberdemon but that was accidental. Other than that, it didn't seem difficult with the exception of fact that there is no ARMOR at all to be found in the cut episode.

Now I'm going to continue playing Cold as Hell and hopefully I will finish it. I remember reaching the later maps. And forget about what I said earlier of bandages, you can still get hurt and bleed but mostly if your health hits 20 or lower I think.

EDIT 3: Also finished Cold as Hell. Was fun for the most part but also had a lot of frustrating parts. I really liked the final battle, though. You get shrunk during the battle and have to fight normal sized red Dark Bishops from Hexen. It was interesting and innovative, something you don't see often used in Doom wads (only other wad where I've seen you get shrunk is in Void wad). Hope there will be more wads that feature shrinking in Doom, it's pretty fun. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:56 pm 
A week ago I've also finished Army of Darkness TC in Eternity Engine. A decent TC that was good for its time but nowadays it's nothing special. The monsters (namely the imp and cacodemon) use Hexen monsters sprites. There is no pistol because it is replaced by fist for some reason.

Today I finished Austerity: A Simplicity Tribute in ZDoom. 3 nice levels by Tormentor667 done in same style as the Simplicity levels. The gameplay is pretty tough but I managed to survive without dying all maps, as well as get 100% on all categories on everything. I basically did an UV-Max but I used saves a lot. That doesn't mean I reloaded when I was low on health, though, plus there weren't low health moment with exception of probably one or two situations. Just saved at every corner to make sure I don't lose progress. ;) Anyway a fun ending picture:

Next I'm probably going to do Ultimate Torment & Torture. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:05 pm 
Cyberdemon
Cyberdemon

Play Austerity 1.0 and you'll find a Gamarra reference. :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:48 am 
Really? I played latest version but I wonder what the reference looked like in early version. Can you show it to me? :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:24 pm 
Cyberdemon
Cyberdemon

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/level ... -c/aust_01

finish the map and you'll see :mrgreen:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:32 pm 
But I'm too lazy to replay this wad. I'd rather play a new wad than replaying the wad I just finished yesterday. Just tell me, is it mentioned inside a lump or texture or something? So I can look inside the wad and view the easter egg directly from here. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:05 pm 
Cyberdemon
Cyberdemon

Go straight to the exit using noclip. :facepalm: There's no need to replay the map.

Offline Profile  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 7 of 8   [ 74 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next