It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 7:20 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 6 of 8   [ 74 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: What Doom wad or Doom related mod are you currently play
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:58 pm 
I finished Infinity and I liked it. The levels were much better designed than the other 2 wads (Serenity and Eternity). I did all levels without dying (at one point on second level I was at 5% health but got saved by a soulsphere) and got 100% everything on all maps except first and sixth where I missed some monsters, items and secrets. Overall I liked it. :yup:

EDIT: Oh and please don't merge this post as I'm allowed to make new post once at every few weeks as there aren't any other people who replied on the thread. I also want this thread to be more active. Doesn't anyone play Doom these days and are they busy or what? I see I am the only one with still free time who is now making progress at playing wads. Now I am going to start playing Doom 2 wads. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:08 pm 
I just played and finished The Ghoul's Forest series by CutmanMike. I played on NIGHTMARE skill because it gives you double ammo! ;)

The first one was pretty meh, I found Choke to be too damn annoying and fast, so he is very hard to hit, plus he can kill you in 2 hits (one hit takes 70 damage). Spamming save/load is the only way to defeat him. It took me like 20 attempts.

The second one was much better balanced, I found it pretty easy. The ghoul Sjas isn't as challenging as Choke but can still be deadly if you aren't careful. I only died once, could have been a perfect run but what's done is done.

The third one is definitely the best and has 4 ghouls in total (5 if you count Choke cameo during credits ;) ). The order the ghouls spawned happened to be exactly this way: Sjas -> Jitterskull -> Creeper. Because they spawn at random but I liked how it happened that order. Anyway I died 5 times and all because of Sjas, I didn't expect him to be hardest ghoul because I killed the other ghouls as well as Yurei without dying. I definitely didn't expect other ghouls to be easy. But yeah I will admit at Yurei, when I missed few times and was going to be killed, I loaded my save as I didn't want to see those scary pictures when dying (I remember back in 2009, I was so scared to play this because of whole Yurei shit, though let's face it, back then I was only 13 years old, while now I'm nearly 20 years old but the scary pictures still give me nightmares), so I just kept retrying until I hit her and killed her. Other than that, I enjoyed it.

Back to normal Doom wads, I am still playing ZPack - Random Maps for ZDoom (I'm at E2M7 currently) and I am enjoying it. With the exception of E2M5: Fanboy (that map sucked because of the whole fan thing and was also a bit frustrating, thanks to those f*cking Death Incarnates that keep resurrecting when dying, had to kill them few times to stop resurrecting and it wasn't easy at all, died few times because of them)

In Eternity, I'm playing The Final Gathering and I'm on level 3. The first one was really easy and second one was a bit harder as I ran out of ammo once (even though I used chainsaw few times to save ammo) but then I found more ammo and megasphere secret, that seemed to make things easier.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:16 pm 
Cyberdemon
Cyberdemon

I played Sunlust. Hard as hell, impossible at times.
I'm currently playing Icarus 2015 and I'm slightly disappointed. :|

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:02 pm 
Sunlust is on my TO-DO list. Well actually many newer wads are on my TO-DO list as I never had the chance to play them. I must say I missed out a lot of newly released Doom wads. And I'm also redoing older wads in Eternity as before I only played them in ZDoom with Aeons of Death and then I realized that the maps weren't balanced in mind with AEOD, plus they aren't meant to be played that way, so I decided to play them the way they were meant to be played.

Now the wads I played:

1) Finished E2 of ZPack, the final boss battle with 2 Diabolists was hard as hell, I made some mistakes here that nearly costed me death. I eventually killed them and finished level with 2% health (and also 22% armor). I'm impressed I managed to survive without dying, I thought I was gonna f*ck up in one way or another. Well I'm happy with results and hopefully in next few days I will finish the next episode as well.

2) Finished The Final Gathering in Eternity. I ran out of ammo (except rockets and cells, I didn't even have the plasma gun at that time and I had 600 cells I couldn't use) at end of level 3 and chainsawed lost souls and a pain elemental. I start next level with chainsaw in hand (luckily there was a megasphere at start of level) and I chainsawed tons of demons and a cacodemon. Well it was worth it, then got more ammo. Then I finally found the plasma gun and things started getting interesting with a spider mastermind and tons of other monsters until nearly ran out of ammo AGAIN! But thankfully after that I got tons of ammo, then I was about to die at one point thanks to a Revenant's homing fireball that did 80 damage. Then I found out a megasphere to repair damage. Well at least the level was very generous as it had 4 megaspheres in total and about 2-3 soulspheres, not to mention many cell packs. Oh and for some reason 3-4 green armors as well (2 located close to each other). Level 5 ended with a death thanks to huge explosion of the Romero's head but it's intentional and level ended anyway. Other than that, I didn't die in any of the levels.

3) Finished Zombie Outbreak by Cutmanmike (for 10th time in my entire life I think? I used to play this wad and many others quite often about 7 years ago, I'm feeling nostalgic now) which is an old GZDoom wad with 3D models. The point here is to survive from zombies for about 3 minutes until a helicopter appears to rescue you. This was good for its time but now it's nothing fancy compared to all these modern (G)ZDoom wads, which is unfortunate as I kinda miss the early ZDoom modding scene, with the gameplay of the mods closer to vanilla Doom and not closer to a completely different game.
Oh and also for some reason automatic shotgun is bugged as when you use altfire to reload shells, it doesn't take any ammo, so basically you have infinite ammo with exception of having to reload each time after using the 5 shells you can hold at one time or manually reload if you have 4 or less shells. In older versions of (G)ZDoom and Skulltag, I remember a bug that made this wad even easier, you basically reloaded 2 shells at one time! Well you gotta love the wads by Cutman, though I must admit his older wads were somewhat better and more nostalgic than the newer ones he makes nowadays. I really wish Cutman would return someday to make more Doom style wads.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:25 pm 
Cyberdemon
Cyberdemon

Just finished Spacewars. Cacoward-worth material. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:50 pm 
I was hoping yesterday and today I would do more Doom progress but all I did was a couple of levels, 2 of which frustrated the heck out of me. Here is list:

1) Finished The Artifact. The first 2 levels were actually okay but sometimes a pain in ass and confusing. The third level is one of the most frustrating piece of shits I ever played. The puzzles are way too f*cking hard and retarded, I'm sorry but this map was so goddamn annoying, I died like 50 times and yes I had 50% health for most of time in this level (trying to quick save and load because it is hard with so many teleporting bullshit around). I also had 76% green armor but in this case you might as well forget about it because it doesn't do much. I kept falling from those UAC_DEAD like stairs. Well you get the idea but I'm sorry to say but this third level might as well have not existed at all. A HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE!

2) Played half of E3 of ZPack. First 3 levels I did perfectly fine, died once on fourth level because I got unlucky with RNG and when I was trying to avoid projectiles, I just run into a Lord of Heresy (realm667 monster) and killed me. Surprisingly I handled well the 4 cybers from the level (2 of which are found in last room of the level, one earlier when a friendly red marine appears and one during the battle I died because I was trying to avoid him but ran into revenant's rockets and into the Lord of Heresy's baron balls)
But nothing compared to the fifth level which was one of the most frustrating piece of shit levels I ever done. I died like 10 f*cking times here because of unfair monster placement, even if there were many soul spheres, blue armors and mega spheres placed around level. Yes it's that hard! At least the part with 2 spider demolishers wasn't too bad, I actually managed to do that part pretty well. Found the switch that unlocks secret exit by rocket jumping but I had to look on a YT video to see where to find it. Other fights weren't that bad but goddamn the last Bruiser Demon from the end of level frustrated me so much as he killed me like 3 times alone because I was trying to BFG trick him (the trick that usually makes a spider mastermind die from 1 shot).
I reach secret level and few more deaths here and there (some were because I was "out of bounds", which kills me instantly). The map is fun and has a nice concept but unfortunately it got ruined by the fact that a monster COULDN'T teleport and was stuck outside of map, so I couldn't finish map without cheating. The map requires you to kill ALL monsters but one of them (first time a Baron, second time a Spectre) always gets stuck in a closet and doesn't appear, forcing me to RESTART map by loading earlier save from previous level. I had to replay that level twice and even then I still couldn't do. Because I didn't want to finish map with cheats (example KILL MONSTERS console cheat, even if it's to repair the bug caused by level/version of ZDoom), I deleted the saves from level. I will have to try this level with an earlier version of ZDoom but I have to do from pistol start. It's a shame as I remember 3 years ago when I played ZPack, that level worked fine but at that time back then, the latest version of ZDoom was 2.5.0 or 2.6.0, so the map worked fine. On ZDoom 2.7.1, I think the map is broken.
The positive side of this adventure is that this mapset has really nice music. :) I hope to finish ZPack next week.

3) Nostromo's Run. I didn't finish yet as from what I see, some wall doesn't lower. Man I've been so unlucky with wads this week. :facepalm: But other than that, the map isn't bad. Hopefully I will find soon what's wrong with this map.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:09 pm 
Cyberdemon
Cyberdemon

The Artifact is a concept wad, then it isn't a wad for all. :yes:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:14 am 
I know there are quite a few wads that focus on details rather than gameplay. I don't like THESE kind of wads that are excellently designed but with a very poor gameplay, example unfair monster placement, traps, etc. Normally I don't complain when I die because I can understand dying once in a while but come on, when I die over 10 times in a map from the SAME damn section, then there must be something wrong with the map as most of maps I do without dying, then there are a couple where I die only 1-2 times and then there's THOSE maps where I die 10 or more times, sometimes some of deaths happening in same room, that's UNFAIR. :glare:

Like come on, it's way too frustrating. I can understand challenge every now and then and I am OK with that but not in the case where the deaths are cheap. And I know most of the wads released in last couple of years have this kind of slaughter gameplay and cheap deaths where you can easily die 10 or more times and this can happen in same room too. Then there's those "rare" maps that lack in health/ammo. I will probably get used to dying more often and then stop complaining but like I said, I am a good player and I know what to do in most situations but I guess RNG sometimes can screw me up as it is the possibility of receiving maximum damage from 1-2 monsters because you tried to dodge other monsters' projectiles and ended up in theirs and immediately losing tons of health/armor, even though you managed to not get hit by other 10 monsters from same room. And then other times you are just unprepared for the fight because you don't know what to expect. Well you get the idea. :yup:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:28 pm 
Finished Nostromo's Run, found the missing switch that lowered the wall. I have finished map in 49 minutes and 9 seconds, I died twice (cyber and archie killed me, could have done without dying if I grabbed the invulnerability but stupid teleporter prevented me from getting there and was because I tried to grab it from the wrong angle, that was so f*cking retarded and then I grabbed the invulnerability spheres just after I finished the big battle, making them useless :facepalm: )
Well at least I got everything (102% kills, 100% items and 100% secrets, despite being no secrets in this map but Eternity counts 0 secrets as 100%)

Now going to try for the third and last time E3M0 from ZPack, if the last monster gets stuck again, I'm gonna cheat with KILL MONSTERS as it's a ZDoom bug and there is nothing I can do about that. :yup:

EDIT: Finally finished E3M0. I figured out how I was supposed to do, before you activate a new sector, kill all the monsters. This time all monsters spawned and everything was fine, I could kill all of them and exit the map. I can finally continue my playthrough of ZPack! :D

EDIT 2: OK I finally finished ZPack - Random Maps for ZDoom. I really liked it. Most of the maps were really well done, though most of the maps from E3 were really tough. I managed to do without dying from the episode 3, only first 3 maps as well as the 7th map but every other map I just died at least once. The final boss of E3 was awesome.

Now I'm going to continue playing The Enigma Episode in Eternity Engine, currently on second level. First level was pretty difficult, I died 2-3 times but then I found out that the author was generous with health and armor. So there won't be too much trouble, I hope.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:46 pm 
Finished The Enigma Episode. Mixed bag. It has its moments but puzzles are annoying, the last couple of maps (6, 7 and 9) took me more than a hour to finish, so I got a TIME SUCKS! I got lucky in map 8 it only took me about 52 minutes to finish, so I didn't get TIME SUCKS.

Surprisingly, I managed to survive maps 3-9 without dying. Only in first 2 maps I died, 2-3 times on first map and once on second map. Rest were pretty easy to survive, thanks to author being generous with health and armor. And I mean really, he placed a lot of armors, soul spheres and mega spheres! If you know how to conserve them, you shouldn't have any problem with finishing each level with 200% health and 200% armor! Not that you need that much health, the maps are possible to complete without all that stuff. ;)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 6 of 8   [ 74 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next