It is currently Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:37 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Teleportation?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:42 am 
Cyberdemon
Cyberdemon

Okay guys, I need your help.

First off, I am working on a secret WAD, that might thrill or at least interest some of you guys when I unveal it. :shiftyph34r:

SO ANYWAY, I need your help.

I want to make a teleport pad that activates when a monster passes through a certain sector.

It is to create an effect of the player being inside a train, where the train is 3d sectors, and the "room" has wall and ceiling/floor textures that scroll, giving the illusion of movement.

So, I want a teleport pad where the player stands, and there will be a sector a few feet away. There will be an invisible monster that runs from where he stands to that other sector as soon as he's activated, and I want it so that when he gets to that sector, the teleport pad that the player stands in becomes activated, and the player teleports.

This gives a fake perception of time, where the time it takes for the "train trip" is actually the time it takes for the monster to get to his target.

The player will teleport to an identical place, except with no scrolling textures, and this other train stop will be the destination.

Does anyone know what I'm trying to do, and can help? Please :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Teleportation?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:19 am 
Pain elemental
Pain elemental

It sounds like what you're looking for is a line activated by monster to trigger the event and a teleport in sector to move the player to the next train. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:40 am 
Cyberdemon
Cyberdemon

Nutcracker wrote:
It sounds like what you're looking for is a line activated by monster to trigger the event and a teleport in sector to move the player to the next train. :)

I'm not sure if I explained it correctly, but from what I can decipher in your post I think that's exactly what I'm looking for :lol:

I mean, as far as I can tell, an actor/"thing" can only activate a line that will affect itself. I want an actor to activate a line which in turn will activate the remote teleport pad in which the player stands.

But I don't know how to do it, I just dont :|

Oh anyway, I don't know when I'm going to have anything awesome to show anyway, because it will be a while, so I'll go ahead and just flat out say I'm trying to make a Rage-like world with Doom in it :)

I'm doing this between free time periods I have, just little by little. I'm creating a large wasteland inspired by Rage, so it's open world but rather than being all-out open, it's instead inside enormous canyon landscape shape, like Rage, to keep it from being an impossible project. It also allows for the player to not be able to see the entire world at once, so it's actually possible to keep amazing environments from being seen until it's the right time to see them. It's a good design there :)

So one problem in open world games is long distance travel, which takes forever. So I want to implement faster travel methods rather than just being on foot, for example:
-cars
-the fake "trains"

Of course, at the moment, I have not the slightest clue how to make a car, and I'll need to get deeply into decorate and others. My idea is simply to have a vehicle actor that just stands there, that does nothing, and when the player "activates it" it simply disappears, and the player takes on the skin of a car, and can no longer strafe, and his acceleration speed is upped alot, as well as backwards speed, not to mention thirdperson mode will be forced while in-car.
SO.... that's what I want to create but I have no clue how to program that yet either :lol:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:08 am 
edit

Last edited by FistMarine on Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:10 pm 
Pain elemental
Pain elemental

For the monster activating the train, what I think you could do is have it call ACS_Execute to get around the "only actions that affect itself" issue. All the script would need is to use TeleportInSector, and it should do the same thing.

Although, I think this system is a little more complex than it needs to be. From what I can tell, you could get around this entire monster issue by just creating a simple ACS script that does something like this:

Spoiler:
Code:
script 1 (void)
{

Delay(<Some amount>);
TeleportInSector(<Whatever your parameters are>);

}

This will wait some amount of time from being activated, giving the passing of time effect that you want, and then teleport the player.

If you want the time to be a bit more random, to give the effect that a monster walking would have, you could instead do:

Delay(Random(<Least amount of time>, <Most amount of time>));

Hope that helps, and here's the wiki pages on all the functions I mentioned in case you need more info.

http://zdoom.org/wiki/TeleportInSector
http://zdoom.org/wiki/Delay
http://zdoom.org/wiki/Random

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:36 pm 
Cyberdemon
Cyberdemon

Ah, okay, thanks Nutcracker :)
Yeah, my way wasn't anywhere near the best, I just thought of it to try and avoid scripting, but sometimes it's just necessary, I guess this is one of those times.

Lol, Fistmarine, that is some crazy stuff :lol:
You know, a shrink themed mod would actually be cool, you should do that :)
For me the shrink sphere is kinda useless, it's just gonna be used for a short part of 1 level, to avoid any bugs due to the player shrinking where he/she shouldn't.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:36 am 
edit

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]